Derek Lawrence RIP

Details of those who have crossed the bar
padre
Padre
Padre

Derek Lawrence RIP

Post by padre » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:00 pm

Dear All

The Vice Chairman, Nigel Carpenter, has learned that Derek Lawrence died on Wednesday. We have no further details at this time. When known these will be published. As he crosses the bar, may he enjoy the company, and may he rest in peace and rise with Christ in glory.

Fr Michael

David Addis
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Derek Lawrence RIP

Post by David Addis » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:34 pm

How sad, I joined the Reg School as a new Instructor just before Derek and JIm Wilson went on draft as Master at Arms.
I had been in regular contact with Derek during the last year or so, he joined the Association and enjoyed logging in to the Forum and reading the posts
It was with pleasure that I was able to help Derek to be able to speak to those he served with at the Reg Branch Officers Dinner in October through a Skype link with Excellent.
I always remember him as a throughly nice man

As an Instructor in the Reg School in the 70's
lawrence_derek.jpg
Derek Lawrence
lawrence_derek.jpg (4.63 KiB) Viewed 865 times

Later on in his career as a Lieutenant Commander
lawrence_derek.jpg
Derek Lawrence as a Lt Cdr
lawrence_derek.jpg (30.13 KiB) Viewed 862 times

David
I do hope his crossing of the bar has been a calm one
LPM(Q)34 1963
Establishments
HMS Drake. HMS Fisgard, HMS Terror (RNPHQ), HMS Lochinvar,
HMS Excellent, HMS Pembroke, HMS Daedalus, HMS Centurion, HMS Nelson
Reg School Instructor -
RPO, MAA, FMAA(Assistant Training Officer)
Ships
HMS Lion, HMS Kepple, HMS Brighton, HMS London
FOST - X1 and Deputy Staff Programming Officer
TX. 1990

royalark
President
President

Post by royalark » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:46 pm

My thoughts, prayers and deep sympathies are with Derek's wife Margaret and all his family at this sad time. Derek was a rare breed of being an officer and true gentleman who was respected and renowned for his sheer professionalism, dedication to duty and concern for others.
He successfully and stoically addressed an exceedingly tough remit during his appointment as Provost Marshal (Navy) and in my view, secured the future of the Regulating Branch at a time of deep defence cuts - even more savage than the present - and political pressure. Against all odds, he played a major role in securing the future of the Regulating Branch as was, and also, I suspect, played his part in formulating the idea of an embryo Royal Navy Police Branch.
Past members of the Regulating Branch and present members of the Royal Navy Police have so much for which to thank Derek. His major contribution to the Regulating Branch during an illustrious career cannot be overstated - we owe him a great debt of gratitude and so very much and more.
Derek was character, charm and commitment and an example to us all and I will miss him.
God Bless you Derek - your duty done - Rest in Peace.

David S C Lodrick
President
Regulating Branch and Royal Navy Police Association

David Tindale
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by David Tindale » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:40 pm

RIP Derek. A good man.

Nausea
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nausea » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:22 pm

This is very sad news, a brilliant man in all respects, my instructor on RPO's course and later the RSO of Sultan. He was one of the few people on my wavelength and after secure we used to have long interesting conversations in his office. We covered all subjects under the sun and along with JJ Winchester were the only two Regulating staff officers I could get along with. Like me he was a lover of dogs and he did say that as he was getting rid of his illnesses he was going to Phuket and afterwards buying a puppy. I did get worried not having heard from him for a while and wondered if the nasty had returned, seems that my fears were justified. I did try to get him to stop smoking but never managed it, maybe contributed to his illness, we won't know now.

He always tried to get me to pass for MAA but as I said to him at the time, "I had no desire ever to be one" and looking back on my subsequent years I am glad that I didn't. I certainly wouldn't have lasted thats for sure, issue best forgotten.

RIP Derek, so sad, farewell to you, lovely, lovely man, someone that the world can i'll afford to lose.

Robert
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Robert » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:59 pm

Such sad news to read this evening. Derek Lawrence was our NPM in Gib, what a great boss and a friend to our families on the team out there. My late daughter, Emma fell off a swing not long before we were due to fly home, a quick phone call and the old Provost HQ land rover arrived at our Married Quarters so we could take her to the hospital. After Derek left the navy, as many of you well know, he ran a post office, not do far from where we lived in South Wales, we were made very welcome when we went to visit. A great boss and a true gentleman. RIP Sir.

colin gent
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by colin gent » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:25 am

Such sad news my thoughts are with his family at this most difficult time.
Agree with all the past comments. Derek was DNPM Portsmouth Patrol as a Sub Lieutenant when we had some heady times with some real characters, but he had time for everyone. Treated everybody the same and very fairly, always encouraging you to do better. He had the capacity to lead, listen and support his staff. He certainly did that for me. Rest in Peace Sir
Joined the Navy 1966.
Joined the branch 1973.
RNPHQ's: Portsmouth x2, Gibraltar, London x3.
Ships: Fife x2, Exeter, Bristol.
RNRS Instructor 1979-81
Retired Feb 1991.

tlane03
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by tlane03 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 am

A gentleman - was the first NPM in the newly established Provost Headquarters in Hilton Road Rosyth in 1976. RIP

David Addis
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by David Addis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:08 pm

I have prepared a Memories of Derek page on our Roll of Honour, if any member would lke me to include their's please add to this post.
To those who have already posted are you happy that I copy them into the web page, and will be a lasting memory.

His daughter has opened a rememberance of Derek which can be reached using the following link

https://derekjameslawrence.muchloved.com/

Please let me know about your posts
David
LPM(Q)34 1963
Establishments
HMS Drake. HMS Fisgard, HMS Terror (RNPHQ), HMS Lochinvar,
HMS Excellent, HMS Pembroke, HMS Daedalus, HMS Centurion, HMS Nelson
Reg School Instructor -
RPO, MAA, FMAA(Assistant Training Officer)
Ships
HMS Lion, HMS Kepple, HMS Brighton, HMS London
FOST - X1 and Deputy Staff Programming Officer
TX. 1990

Moizee381
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Moizee381 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:08 pm

I cannot recall the exact years that I met Derek but around 1980, 1983, and 1986 I think - he inspired so many of us with his wisdom, knowledge, encouragement and humour. A gentleman of the highest order and he will be sorely missed by all who were privileged to have worked with him or known him. At least no more suffering for him and am sure he will be made most welcome in the Regulating Bar upstairs where he joins others of his era who no doubt will raise a glass in his honour - RIP Sir - and a safe anchorage ahead.

Moira Fisher BEM (semi-retired Chief Wren Regulating)